Thursday, February 22, 2007

Latest udates on Little Miss

OK, I guess I should take a minute to update everyone on what's new with Lauren these days! (Oh and btw, I'm giving up on the whole anonymity thing...) L.M. turned two last month and is growing up faster than I can believe. It seems like she changes so much in just a week!

So anyway, Jan. 22nd was Lauren's 2nd birthday. Jen's parents came down to celebrate but unfortunately my parents were in Florida. Jen's aunt was also supposed to fly up for the weekend from Atlanta but totalled her car Friday morning when a woman lost control of her car and came across the median on the interstate. Luckily Jen's aunt wasn't seriously hurt, just bruised and very sore, but she wasn't able to make the trip.

For Lauren's birthday, I baked a Blue's Clues cake with a pan I had gotten from Freecycle more than a year ago. I spent about THREE HOURS decorating it with hundreds of tiny stars. (I'll post pictures when I get a chance.) For my first attempt at cake decorating, it actually came out pretty good, but I seriously doubt I will ever attempt something like that again! If I do make that cake again, the colors will simply be filled in with a flat ribbon tip, not done with stars!

Anyway, after all that effort I was a bit disappointed by the response I got from Lauren. Maybe the candles scared her. And even though she knew it was Blue, she didn't seem to excited or make a big deal out of it. But her excitement actually grew over the next few days, as "birthday cake" quickly became her favorite word! Like father like daughter!

Little Miss was lucky enough to get to celebrate her birthday a second time when my parents stopped in on their way back from Florida to Pennsylvania two weeks later. Of course we had to have more cake, knowing how much Lauren loved it, but this time I went the store-bought route. Once again she had a blast, and then proceeded to ask for "boiday cake!" every night for the next two weeks.

This week Lauren finally had her two-year checkup. She's 90-95th percentile for height, weight, and head size, which is what we expected considering she towers over everyone in the twos class at daycare and many of the three-year-olds too. Like I said, she seems to change every week. Here are a few of her favorite things.

Favorite foods: pizza, broccoli (seriously!), chocolate, lollipops, and of course birthday cake

Favorite expressions: "Perfect", "Dat goes here", "Dat one", and "Oh no!" (complete with "Home Alone" face slap)

Favorite songs: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Baa Baa Black Sheep, and Mahna Mahna.

Favorite toys: stuffed animals, wooden puzzles, and her AquaDoodle.

Other items of note: she counts to 14 consistently, then typically jumping around from there.... 17 actually seems to be her favorite number to say. She always wants to put things back where they came from, whch is great when it's time to clean up the toys! And she's been sleeping in a toddler bed for the last few weeks now.

It's still amazing that we hardly ever have to fight with her to get her to go to bed. But it is clear that she's two -- she wants to do more and more things herself (like get dressed), and she'll throw tantrums if she doesn't get her way, or even for what seems like no particular reason at all. But all in all, I don't think I could ask for a better-behaved little girl!

No comments: