Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Idol top 10 guys

Well it's Idol night again, and I still haven't had time to watch the second half of the first girls' show! In fact I haven't even watched the results show! Hopefully I'll get to watch them at some point, but for now it's time to continue with tonight's performances and my real-time recap.

Phil Stacey - Singing "Missing You" by John Waite. Great song, and he makes it sound more like a Police song than the original. (Of course the guitar riff sounds just like "Every Breath You Take" too.) That was a very strong performance and he's got a good, unique voice. Paula likes his tone and so do I.

Jared Cotter - Singing "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye. This is a BIG song to take on, but I think he does a respectable job. His tone and his ad-lib riffs remind me a lot of Daryl Hall.

A.J. Tabaldo - Sorry, don't know this song. It started a little boring (although I love the orchestration), but he really turned it on when the tempo picked up. Great tone, great pitch, and I like the falsetto too. He reminds me a bit of Boyz II Men. I don't really remember him from last week, though, so he could still be in danger.

Sanjaya Malakar - He's still around?!?! Wow, I knew Sundance was saved by VoteForTheWorst, but how the hell did Sanjaya survive? (I heard Paul Kim went home but I never did hear the other guy to get the boot!) This song fits his voice well, but we know crooners don't do well on Idol. And the getup is horrible! He sounds weak -- almost timid. Sorry, he's a nice guy but he needs to go home.

OK, I had to go to americanidol.com to see which other guy went home last week. Rudy Cardenas, huh? That's too bad -- he had a decent voice and was certainly better than Sanjaya and Sundance. But it's no huge loss. I didn't think he'd be in the top 6.

Chris Sligh - Don't know this song either. It's a solid performance, but not stellar. I was actually expecting more from him. Hm... the judges actually liked him more than I did. Maybe I missed something.

Nick Pedro - He's got a good, almost "old soul" voice, but he doesn't make this song very memorable. I hope he sticks around, but I'm worried about him too.

Blake Lewis - Will we see any beat-boxing tonight? Great song! He had a few pitch problems here and there, but it's a good performance, and the beat-box skatting is great. Nice falsetto too! Like Taylor's harmonica, Blake could have the "hook" that takes him far into the finals.

Brandon Rogers - Hm... never been a big fan of "Time After Time". No real problems, but a very safe, boring, ordinary performance -- which is basically what Randy said too. He should probably go home this week, after two dull performances in a row.

Chris Richardson - I don't know this song either (not my genre), but I like the performance. Once again, he really reminds me of Maroon 5. (I should have guessed it's a Jason Mraz song.)
I REALLY like his voice tonight. I agree with Randy... he could be the guy to beat.

Sundance Head - Let's see if he can redeem himself from last week. Mustang Sally is one of those songs that just about anyone can sing fairly well, but it does suit his voice well. Boy, I was thinking it was a fairly ordinary performance until he hit that screamer of a note! What a turn-around. But is one good week enough to get him into the top 6?

So, my picks for this week... well, Sanjaya will probably get the support of VFTW, but will it be enough to save him? I sure hope not! My picks for the bottom three would be Sanjaya, Brandon, and Nick. My favorites tonight were Chris R. and Blake, and rounding out my top 6 would be Phil, Chris S., Sundance (based on tonight alone), and either Jared or A.J.

No comments: