Thursday, February 22, 2007

Idol top 12 girls, part 1

OK, I realize people on the east coast already know which women (and guys) are going home this week, but I'm just getting around to watching last night's ladies' performances. Actually, I got to see a few of them last night and was very impressed with what I heard, but now I get a chance to really watch and listen.... and of course blog.

By the way, I found out my wife's cousin knows Antonella and worked with her best friend who auditioned with her in New York. (They both made it to the Hollywood round.) Antonella also goes to Catholic U in DC, so she's being treated like the "hometown favorite" around here, with lots of hype on the Fox evening news.

Anyway, on to last night's performance show and my reviews:

Stephanie Edwards - I'm really impressed with her. She actually reminds me quite a bit of Tamyra Gray, both in her vocals and her looks. She's a total natural on stage, and far better than any of the guys from last night. And of course the judges have nothing but good things to say about her too.

Amy Krebs - So far she's just been "meh". At least she looks a lot better tonight than in her audition clips, but the song's just ok -- ordinary and a little pitchy. The judges all said basically the same thing.

Leslie Hunt - From the audition clips, I really don't like her voice at all, but she did pick a song that works for her tone. And dude, she looks and even sounds a bit like Harriet Hayes (Sarah Paulson) from Studio 60! It was actually better than I expected... I actually think she was better than Randy and Simon gave her credit for. I don't know if she was "great", but she was pretty good.

Sabrina Sloan - Wow, this girl has got a powerful voice! She said she needed the perfect song, and I think she picked it. My only complaint is that she sings right on top of the mic so we can't see her mouth at all. But that was a fantastic performance! I'd love to say she's the one to beat, but it's really too early to tell.

Antonella Barber - I heard some of her performance last night, and to be honest, I'm not sure I can stand to sit through it again tonight! She was off-key from start to finish. She's got a very pretty voice, but she just butchered that song. It's no surprise that VoteForTheWorst.com is behind her.

Jordin Sparks - She's got quite a voice for a 17-year-old! I think she picked a great song to suit her voice, and it's more sultry than "sugary". And when she took it up in her register, WOW -- goosebumps. I like her a lot. I think Randy's right -- she can handle just about any song out there. That could be a real help for her in future rounds. She'll certainly be in the top 6.

Well that's the first six, and even though the results are already announced, I guess I should stop here and head to bed. More tomorrow!

No comments: