Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Idol top 10 girls

It's Wednesday, that means it's time for more Idol! Tonight it's the top 10 girls. I only got to see the first six last week, and it looks like they're going in reverse order this week, so the first five will be new for me. Let's see what they got!

Gina Glocksen - I heard some good things about her performance last week. She's got a strong voice, although the dress just doesn't fit her persona. I like her, but I'm not convinced that she'll make the top 6. OK, I agree with Simon's fashion advice -- that's scary!

Alaina Alexander - Meh. Totally ordinary and a lot of pitch problems. But she's hot, so who knows!

LaKisha Jones - I can't hear "Midnight Train to Georgia" on Idol without thinking of Paris Bennett... and she's not even half the singer Paris was. It was good, but certainly not spectacular.

Melinda Doolittle - I liked her from the audition rounds... let's see what she's got tonight. Wow, "My Funny Valentine"... the song makes her sound very mature. It started somewhat boring, but I think she's good enough that it doesn't matter. She just has an amazing voice! I really wish I had seen her performance last week. I'm not gushing like Simon, but she is REALLY good.

Antonella Barba - She was just awful last week, but of course picked up the support of VFTW. And she's almost as bad this week... pitch all over the place. She actually hit the high notes surprisingly well. I agree with Randy... as soon as they said she was doing Celine, I knew she was in trouble.

Jordin Sparks - I guess they're not going in exactly reverse order from last week... I wonder why. Once again she's very good, but I think she's oversinging this song just a bit... too many runs. Just sing the melody and let your voice shine!

Stephanie Edwards - Great performance. She has such a strong voice and she's such a natural on stage. A little trouble on one note there, which is a bit surprising... probably just got emotional. She's certainly one of the top three or four girls.

Leslie Hunt - This song starts a little low for her, but she does have a good, sultry voice. There wasn't really much to that song to really show off her talent, but it was enjoyable.

Haley Scarnato - Didn't see her last week either... how'd she get to sing so late tonight? Whitney Houston is WAY too big for her. It was bad karoke to me. If she was "so much better" this week, she must have been awful last week! She should be going home this week.

Sabrina Sloan - Another great, powerful performance... now if she could just stop sucking on the freakin mic! Definitely one of the three best ladies.

So, there you have it! I actually think the girls were somewhat ordinary this week, as compared to the guys who were ten times better than week one. My top four would be Melinda, Sabrina, Stephanie, and Jordin. Going home? Two of these three: Haley, Alaina, and Antonella, with Gina possibly at risk too.

A quick check of DialIdol.com puts Leslie at the bottom and (ugh) Antonella in the top 4 vote-getters! Let's hope that changes as the night goes on!

No comments: