Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Idol top 24 selection show

Although I already know the top 24 list, I'm still wondering what happened to some of my early favorites and if maybe they made it into the top 50 without being shown during the Hollywood round.

No real surprises during the first half of the show, other than how many people made it through that I don't remember EVER seeing. The biggest surprise to me was that Simon doesn't like David Hernandez. I thought he was fantastic! So there it is -- the one Simon says can't possibly win!

I'm also disappointed, although not that surprised, that Josiah didn't make it through. He did bomb his final audition, which shows he can't sing anything they throw at him, so maybe it's for the best. We could see him again on a future season though -- he's only 16.

And the there's nerd-boy Kyle. What?!?! Simon thinks he should have been in the top 24?? Over Josiah? I guess that's Simon just fishing for ratings, looking for this year's Kevin "Chicken Little" Covais or Sanjaya! Wow.

So, not much to comment on from the top 24 selection show. I only remember seeing about half of the finalists perform before the Hollywood round, and there are at least six or seven in the top 24 I don't remember ever seeing! Do they have any shot at winning? A lot of prior contestants have complained that lack of air time early on hurts them when the public starts voting.

So for now, I guess I have to stick with the four favorites I mentioned yesterday: David H., David A., Syesha, and Amanda. Of those four, David A. has the best shot at winning because of the age factor and growth potential. But to be honest, I suspect the winner will NOT be one of those four, but someone I just haven't noticed yet. I'm sure I'll have a much better feel after the first round when we get to see all the contestants perform.

No comments: