Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I'm such a bad parent!

The Redskins marching band had a gig tonight at the Pagent of Peace on the White House ellipse. I invited Jennifer and 10-month-old Little Miss to come along. Unfortunately I didn't realize how bitter cold it was going to be. LM was bundled up pretty well, but I had a feeling they may not be able to stay for the whole performance. I could actually hear LM squealing with delight between songs, but about 20 minutes in I heard her start to cry. I hoped my wife would hurry her back to the car to warm up, but it was still a long walk back. When I got back to the car myself about 20 minutes later, LM was still screaming. Her hands and feet were ice cold, and for some reason Jennifer hadn't turned the car on -- I guess because she was in the back seat trying to comfort LM and warm her up. I felt terrible! If I had realized just how cold it was going to be, I would never have suggested they come along. And I should have made sure Jen understood that she should head back to the car if she felt it was too cold, even if LM wasn't distressing. Poor baby! (And poor mommy too!) I know how much my hands hurt as I warmed them up after playing for a half hour. I just hope no permanent damage was done.

On the bright side, I know LM enjoyed herself for the first part of the concert. She just loves music. She'll "dance" (rock back and forth) while standing at her LeapPad table or if there's music on TV. Last night we went to the Penn State/George Mason women's basketball game and every time the pep band played, LM would start stroller-dancing. Jen said she was dancing at tonight's concert too.

No comments: