Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Would you like some K-Y with those concert tickets?

Yesterday I did something I never thought I'd do. I paid $300 for a pair of concert tickets.

Ouch.

Not ony that, but they're not even floor seats. Double ouch. Floor seats were $230 EACH (plus service fees, of course) and I wasn't gonna go that high. But I figured if 400-level seats were $80+, I might as well cough up the $130+ for 200-level tix.

$300. That's more than a week of day care! For one 3-hour (if we're lucky) concert.

So whom did I deem worthy of this ridiculous amount? No, not the Police... although they're in the same league. Genesis.

Yes, after 15 years, Phil Colins, Tony Banks, and Mike Rutherford have reunited for another tour. Has it really been that long? I guess it has. I actually saw the guys on their last US tour, at Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia, on (according to this website) June 1, 1992. I believe I was somewhere around the 24th row for that show. And let me tell you, it was AMAZING. In fact I told someone after the Trans-Siberian Orchestra show this December that the Genesis concert was the only show I had ever seen with a better light show.

But I still have a hard time swallowing the $130 ticket price, even if this is most likely the last time Genesis will tour. I wouldn't pay that much to go see Billy Joel or even U2 for that matter.... well, I might have to reconsider that the next time U2 goes on tour, because that is now the only group in my top 5 that I've never seen in concert. (The other four are Billy Joel, Genesis, Dave Matthews Band, and Rush.) But Jen has never seen Genesis in concert, and when I found out they were touring again she said she definitely wanted to go. She was even the one who said to go with the $130 tix... I would've settled for the $80 ones.

Anyway, this is shaping up to be a very expensive concert season. In addition to Genesis in September, we're also going to see Blue Man Group in April and Phantom of the Opera at the Kennedy Center in August. Plus I'd kind of like to go see The Police if I can. I was never a huge fan, but hell, at least that show's only $95 for middle-tier seats!

No comments: