Tuesday, March 13, 2007

It's time for the Idol top 12!

It's finally here -- American Idol's top 12! As always, there are a few disappointments, namely Sanjaya and Haley who stole spots from far more deserving people. But hey, every season has to have its "Chicken Little" on tour, right? Besides, it's not like Sundance or Sabrina had a chance of winning it all.

Tonight's Diana Ross night. I wonder how the guys will fare, especially considering how rough they've been so far.

Brandon Rogers - Once again, Brandon picks a song that showcases his "pretty boy" voice, but no "wow" factor. I was going to say it was a very "safe" pick before that terrible crack... and then he FORGETS THE WORDS TOO! It's happened before to people, but Brandon's already on the bubble. He might survive this week, but don't expect him to stay around long. Then again, the first spot of the night is always a bad one for the forgettable performers.

Melinda Doolittle - She starts off a bit safe, but Melinda's powerful, star-quality voice shines no matter what she sings. She is miles apart from everyone else in the competition -- I don't know if there's anything she can do to NOT win this show.

Chris Sligh - I don't care for this arrangement at all, but the song really showcases his voice in a way we haven't seen before. He's a much better singer than I realized! Not at all what I would have expected from him, but it's very good. The judges all hammered him for the arrangement, which I agree with, but I still think the performance itself was worthy of some praise!

Gina Glocksen - I guess we won't hold it against Diana Ross for making up words. (OK, so technically "pronunciate" is a word, but I do not think it means what she thinks it means.) Gina picks a great song with Love Child and gives it her own edgy sound.... and does a fairly good job of enunciating too. I think she was better than the judges felt. Maybe the sound system in the theater is off tonight -- they're obviously having some problems with mics after each song, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Sanjaya Malakar - Diana says people care about Sanjaya... is that why he's still around? Oh my god, he looks like a cross between Diana Ross and Justin Guarini!! And he is just as awful as in previous weeks... although he does seem to have more confidence this week. LOL... Randy's a riot -- "hair idol". And did Simon just call Diana Ross a whale? No, that's "wail", as in "shriek in horror".

Haley Scarnato - Haley basically butchers "Missing You", even having problems with the words -- plus she's wearing the most hideous dress I've ever seen! At least she KNOWS that she was awful, unlike Sanjaya.

Phil Stacey - His practice tape looked pretty good... let's see what he's got when he gets on stage. It starts very boring, but in the chorus his voice gets a chance to shine, plus a nice little vocal inflection thrown in for good measure. If only he didn't look so damn goofy. I suspect once Sanjaya and Haley are finally gone, Phil will get VoteForTheWorst's support just based on his look!

LaKisha Jones - She certainly performs the song well, but I'm not blown away. Personally I don't see what people have been raving about with her -- she's good, but she's no Melinda. She's my pick for the surprise early exit, like around the final 6 or 5.

Blake Lewis - I'm already impressed by the fact that Blake tweaked the arrangement himself. I like the footwork too, and he has so much confidence on stage. It's not nearly his best vocal performance -- in fact it kinda reminded me of a high school talent show performance. He changed it up, but it almost made it cheesy rather than "new". Maybe if he had thrown some beat-boxing in... But he'll still be still safe for a few more weeks.

Stephanie Edwards - She's got some pitch problems tonight, and there's nothing in the song to really wow me. She was at the bottom in last week's DialIdol predictions, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her in the bottom two or three this week.

Chris Richardson - I love Chris's voice when he's taking on the alternative hip-hop style songs, but I'm not sure it works with Diana Ross. He still gives a good, solid performance... actually, I really like some of the vocal runs he threw in, although he could drop the falsetto stingers. He's still my favorite guy.

Jordin Sparks - She gives a good performance but sounds nervous from start to finish, and her last note is pretty flat. I have no idea what Randy was listening to because I didn't think that was anywhere near as good as Melinda or LaKisha, or even Chris R. How weird.

So, who goes home this week? Obviously it SHOULD be Sanjaya or Haley, but Brandon and Stephanie are also in danger. Being first up and forgetting the words could really hurt Brandon, and DialIdol currently has him last, but those predictions seem to change pretty dramatically when the west coast votes start coming in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In regards to your comment on Diana Ross not knowing the meaning of the word "pronunciate", well it turns out you are wrong. It is listed at Dictionary.com and below is the definition.

Webster's New Millennium™ Dictionary of English
Main Entry: pronunciate
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: to declare or pronounce

Howard Stern has apologized for slamming Ross for using the word.

Also---I would not mind having hair like Diana Ross and Sanjaya combined ....they are both very good looking human beings....you should look at your own hair, or lack of i should say!!! LOL.

Marc said...

Apparently you skipped a big piece of my post, because I said "OK, so technically "pronunciate" is a word" and I even LINKED to the definition on dictionary.com. When you posted your definition, you also left out the last line:

Usage: rare

The word Diana was probably thinking of is "enunciate", which I also linked to. The definition is:

1. to utter or pronounce (words, sentences, etc.), esp. in an articulate or a particular manner: He enunciates his words distinctly.

And personally I'd rather stick with the Chris Daughtry/Phil Stacey look than go the Sanjaya/Diana Ross/Justin Guarini route.... as if I have a choice in the matter!

Anonymous said...

Diana Ross is gorgeous and Sanjaya also has a great face and smile.
They could be bald and still be considered beautiful. You on the other hand- imo -have no room to talk about them because you are not good looking,....bald or not! Sorry but it's true, especially compared to Ross , Sanjaya, and even Justin Guarini.

I also disagree in your thinking Ross didn't use that word with it's true meaning in mind. You act like she is an idiot.

Oh and yes, I amazingly have heard of , and even used once or twice the word "enunciate"!!