Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The President got it right. Did I just say that???

Boy, it's been a while since I've posted to my blog, huh? Well, let's see if we can correct that.

The other day while watching the news, I found myself saying something I never thought I'd say. I a... ag... agree with President Bush on something.

"I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English," said Bush. For once, I agree.

To be honest, I'm still not sure where I fall on the whole immigrant issue. (More on that later.) But I do know that a country's -- any country's -- national anthem should be sung in the country's official language or the language in which it was written when it was approved as the national anthem. I had to add that because, sadly, the US does not have a national language. And we should.

I think it's great that America is known as the "melting pot" of the world, and I realize that ALL of us (other than native Americans) are descendants of immigrants. But this is still one country, united, and we ought to have a national language. You don't have to necessarily speak English to move here, but I certainly think you should know how to speak English to hold a job here. I wouldn't move to France or Spain or Mexico and expect to get a job without speaking the language!

No comments: